Hotter as a Faun.

Initially, Hotter as a Faun began as a post on the imdb.com message boards about James McAvoy's hot turn as Mr. Tumnus, but now, it has become more of a way of life. Yes, we here at Hotter as a Faun believe that every element of pop culture has the opportunity to be hotter. That's why we're dedicated to bringing you the best in our opinions on movies, tv, music, books, celebrities, and what our roommates wear. Because if you had the chance to be hotter as a faun, wouldn't you?

Sunday, July 15, 2007

Duh nuh nuh nuh

Mamoushka!
Well you lucky dogs! Two Raul Julia posts in one week? Who could have possibly imagined anything so wonderful ever happening. Sophie and I watched The Addams Family, probably for the first time since I was a preteen. And OH. IT WAS GOOD. It has reminded me of everything that is good and sacred in this world. Namely, my love of all things colorfully gothic. And that's where this movie is most successful --capturing an archaic but rich aesthetic-- rather than when they try to clash it with modern day lawyers and other annoyingly contemporary anachronisms like MC Hammer. (Except for when they go to sleepover camp in The Addams Family Values. Like Hammer said, you can't touch that.) I can see how this film was nominated for best costumes for the Oscars. I know it's probably dated and pointless to review movies from 1991, but seriously, this is one of the more imaginative movies I've seen in a long time. And it's definitely creepy that I loved it with my under-a-decade of life experience 1991 original viewing of it.

In other words, Gomez Addams can be my papi chulo any day.

That's right, the man I marry is going to be a mixture of Raul Julia in The Addams Family and Bill Paxton in Apollo 13. Urinary Tract Infection and all. To well-neededly digress, can we also talk about Angelica Houston being SO. DAMN. DEAD ON. in this movie? Pun intended, because I am awesome like that. And Christina Ricci. AND CHRISTINA RICCI. She's like two-years-old in this movie. And skinnier now. OH I WENT THERE.

But watching this movie again also made me realize just how brilliant of a cartoonist Charles Addams was.


I mean, how hilarious and weird and slightly off is that? Just the right amount.

And apparently they're turning the Addams Family into a musical? Does this mean someone is thinking about combining my loves of macabre comedy with musical comedy? ARE ALL MY DREAMS FINALLY COMING TRUE??

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Ryan Martin said...

When I came back home, there were three movies on the table for some reason: two Tim Burton flix and The Addams Family. I totally dropped everything and watched it then and there. It's true! It's just as awesome now as it ever was. Goofy, not even a little believable, and totally amazing.

July 24, 2007 at 3:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home